Octopath Traveler is the brand new, Nintendo Switch exclusive title, which brings back memories of old 16-bit games. In this Octopath Traveler guide, we’ll be walking you through a complete list of Octopath Traveler tips, briefly outlining all eight characters that the game has to offer, as well as giving you a detailed overview of the Octopath Traveler controls system.
Octopath Traveler is just a short way away from finally releasing worldwide, after a few impressive demoes. We’ll be continually updating this guide whenever we uncover anything new or intriguing about the game.
Octopath Traveler Guide
Octopath Traveler is a game designed to bring back nostalgic memories for the 16-bit generation of games. It’s a game that looks surprisingly stunning on the Nintendo Switch, and runs as smooth as possible. Just below, you can see our full list of in depth Octopath Traveler guides, including articles on all eight individual characters in the game, as well as breakdown of the turn-based combat system.
Octopath Traveler Tips
Octopath Traveler might look like a fairly cute, basic game on the surface, but it’s the combat where things can get tricky. You’ll want to always have a load of Healing Grapes and other useful items on hand, to help out any of the eight characters whenever they’re in a bind. Just below, you can find our full Octopath Traveler tips list:
- At the beginning of Octopath Traveler, you pick one character, and then find the others out in the open world.
- You can find the other seven characters in any order, whenever you please, so don’t be afraid about being stuck with the character you pick first.
- Press the Minus button to bring up the map, and you can see the location of every other character in the world.
- When you reach a new character, you’ll have to complete their introductory mission before they’ll begin travelling with you.
- Out in the open world, combat encounters are entirely random. Think of it like being pounced upon by a random Pokemon whenever you’re in tall grass.
- Comat in Octopath Traveler is turn based, and you can see the order of turns in the row at the top of the screen.
- The blue numbers next to an enemy indicate how many critical attacks it’ll take to ‘Break’ them, and stun them for a turn.
- It’s up to you to discover which weapons an enemy is weak to, and then you know which weapons to use to stun which type of enemy.
- Whenever you enter a new area, you’ll see a danger level indicator on the bottom left of your screen. If this danger level is higher than the level of your characters, turn back!
- Healing Grapes are the health potions of Octopath Traveler, and you’ll always want to stock up on them whenever you’re near a merchant out in the world, or a Provisioner in a town.
- On the mini map on the bottom right, green icons indicate the direction of your current main quest, while orange indicators show side quests.
Octopath Traveler Controls
There’s a lot that Octopath Traveler throws at you in the opening hours, no matter which of the eight characters you choose to kick things off with. Just below, we’ll outline the complete controls scheme for Octopath Traveler.
- Move – Left stick
- Interact/Character actions – Y
- Pause menu – X
- Map – Minus button
These controls are pretty basic, all in all. Just keep in mind that all eight characters in Octopath Traveler all have different actions tied to the Y button. When facing an NPC, press Y, and you’ll be able to select any of the character’s actions to execute.
This might be the conclusion of our Octopath Traveler guide hub, but keep checking back here for more information in the future. As we previously stated, we’ll be updating this guide with additional information whenever we uncover anything new.
This article may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and buy the product we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.